Thank you for interest in employment with the City of Manhattan.
Please use the links on this page to view current job openings with the city. We only accept applications for positions that are currently open and advertised.
Our online employment site allows applicants to easily search and apply for open positions.
The City of Manhattan prefers you apply via our online employment application.
If you are unable to apply online, you may pick up an application from the Department of Human Resources at 1101 Poyntz Ave. between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Applications must be submitted by the closing date on our employment opportunities page.
People requiring assistance should contact the city’s Department of Human Resources at (785) 587-2443.
The City of Manhattan is an equal opportunity employer.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - WATER PARKS - AQUATICS - PARKS AND RECREATION
MUST BE 16 YEARS OR OLDER
STARTING WAGE: $7.25/hr. CLOSING DATE: 06/30/17
Customer Service staff will serve to facilitate an excellent aquatic experience for customers at one of the three Manhattan pools. Staff will be paid competitively and may be eligible for promotion/transfer depending on performance. Patrol swimming areas; ensure that customers meet safety requirements; notify, instruct, correct customer behavior; carry out procedures of Emergency Action Plan (EAP); facility maintenance and cleaning duties; meet the needs of customers and provide excellent service; actively listen to customers and address needs. Work performed outside in extreme heat which could expose the staff to various outside atmospheric conditions; variable noise level and activity.
Essential Function: Stand, walk, sit, use hands, handle, feel, speak, hear, climb stairs, push, pull, or lift up to 50 pounds. Background check; weekends and holidays; in-service training; pools open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Customer Service staff will serve to facilitate an excellent aquatic experience for customers at one of the three Manhattan pools. Staff will be paid competitively and may be eligible for promotion/transfer depending on performance.
Essential Job Functions Include:
Importance Tasks % of Time
1. Patrol or monitor swimming areas from designated positions on foot or while sitting on approved lifeguard stands to detect hazards, disturbances, or safety infractions. 60%
2 . Ensure that customers meet all safety requirements such as height for each aquatic feature before using it. 10%
3. Notify, instruct, and correct customer behavior that is inconsistent with safety procedures in a fair, timely, and polite manner. 7%
4. Carry out all procedures exactly as described by the Emergency Action Plan (EAP) in times of emergency or crisis. EAP training will be provided by Manhattan Parks and Recreation. 2%
5. Complete all assigned facility maintenance and cleaning duties as assigned by supervisors. 20%
6. Other duties as assigned. 1%
• How to meet the needs of customers and provide excellent service.
• Actively listen to customers and address any needs or wants that they have.
• Speaking politely and clearly to customers, supervisors, and other employees.
• Speak clearly and understand others.
• Work will be performed at one of three outdoor aquatic facilities: City Park Pool, Northview Pool, or Cico Park Pool.
• Most work will be performed outside in extreme heat which could expose the staff to various outside atmospheric conditions.
• Noise level and activity level will be varied.
• To perform the essential functions of this job, staff may be required to stand, walk, sit, use hands, handle, feel, speak, hear, climb stairs, push, pull, or lift up to 50 pounds.
• Applicants must pass a background check.
• Staff may be asked to work weekends and holidays.
• Pools typically open on Memorial Day and close on Labor Day.
• Staff will be required to attend in-service training.
• May be asked to teach swim lessons.
The City of Manhattan, KS Department of Parks and Recreation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The statements included in this job description are not implied to be an employment contract and the employer reserves all appropriate employment-at-will privileges.
Your privacy is very important to us. We will never give your information to anyone. Period.